Dane County Hospice, Inc was incorporated in 1978 and served its first patient at 1504 Madison St., Madison, WI in June 1979. The following year it changed its name to HospiceCare Inc. and in 1989 HospiceCare moved to the Wisconsin Public Broadcasting Center at 3321 W. Beltline Highway, Madison, WI. With continued growth HospiceCare moved again in 1991 to 2802 Coho Street, Madison, WI. HospiceCare merged with Janesville Team Care in 1995 and expanded its service area into Rock, Walworth, Green and Jefferson counties. HospiceCare moved into new offices in Janesville in 1998.
With continued growth, groundbreaking began on the new Fitchburg site in 1998 and opened on June 1, 2000 as the Don & Marilyn Anderson HospiceCare Center. With continued growth the Ellen & Peter Johnson HospiceCare residence was added at the Fitchburg site in 2006. Finally, in 2011 HospiceCare changed its name to Agrace HospiceCare to distinguish itself as a nonprofit, community hospital.
From its beginning, Agrace believed in the revolutionary idea that comfort, dignity and even hope and joy are possible for those facing a life-limiting illness. Besides caring for patients and their families they have educated others about death, dying and grief. Care is provided both in their facilities and with home and nursing home visits.