In 1930, five retailers in the Madison, WI area joined together to get lower prices. Their company was named Central Wisconsin Cooperative Food Stores. They obtained a warehouse and a distribution center (a downtown garage) in 1942 to evolve into a true grocery distributor center. The company changed its name again to Certified Grocer’s CO-OP in 1956 and in 1962 the distribution center was moved to its current location in Fitchburg. Their name was changed again to Certco, Inc. in 1975.
Certco, Inc. has grown as an independent grocery distributor servicing over 200 stores in Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota and Iowa with two warehouses in Madison and almost one million square feet of distribution space. In 2019, they began building a 21,000 square foot Fleet Maintenance Facility at their Fitchburg location. Besides distributing grocery items, they also offer support to their customers in advertising, accounting and technology