At the age of 22 George Fox and his older brother William went from Indiana to the land that would become Fitchburg. There George bought 120 acres in 1842 before returning home for the winter. He returned with his family in 1843. This land is located in the SW quarter of section 35 (1861 plat map above upper left). This land was registered as a centennial farm in 1973. This land, which lies just east of of Barney Lake on the southern boarder of Fitchburg, now belongs to the Wisconsin Department of Corrections.