Msgr. Thomas F. Baxter, Pastor
Rectory: 1128 St. James Ct. Madison, WI 53711
608 – 268-9930
Father Manuel Mendez, Parochial Vicar
Office: St. Joseph Site
1905 W. Beltline Hwy., Madison, WI 53713
608 – 268-9933
Good Shepherd Catholic Parish was formed in 2012 by the merger of the parishes of St. James Church at 1128 St. James Court in Madison, and St. Joseph Church at 1905 W. Beltline Highway in Madison, just outside of the Fitchburg city limits. The name, Good Shepherd Catholic Parish, reflects the vision and mission of the combined parishes. St. Joseph Church was founded in 1916 on Park Street in Madison, and ministered to the needs of the Italian immigrants in the Greenbush area. In 1962, it built a new church at 1905 W. Beltline Highway. St. James Church with its St. James school was founded in 1905, and met the worshiping needs of those on the west side of Madison. Together, the now blended churches of St. James with its St. James school (pre K through 8th grade), and St. Joseph have formed a community of over 800 family units, with a strong Latino population under the guidance of Father Manuel Mendez, who resides at the St. Joseph site.