Chris Enstad, Lead Pastor
5701 Raymond Rd, Madison, WI
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church (GSLC) had its beginnings in Madison, Wisconsin in November 1956 when the first service was held at the parsonage with Pastor Clem Peterson officiating. GSLC was officially organized in March 1957 and had its first service in its new church at 5701 Raymond Road in May 1959. This is just a couple of blocks outside the Fitchburg City limits. The church belonged to the Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church synod whose origins derived from 19th century Swedish immigrants. In 1962 the synod merged with other churches to form the Lutheran Church in America. In 1988 the Lutheran Church in America merged with two other Lutheran synods to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Over the years GSLC built several additions to its church to accommodate the increasing size of its congregation. Due to the limited space at its Raymond Road location a second site was developed at 7291 County Highway PD in the town of Verona. Dedication of this second site, called the Verona campus, was held in June 2003. Several additions at this site have been made over the following years. To accommodate the large congregation four ministers currently rotate between the two campuses.
GSLC is noted for its children’s ministry from preschool through high school and includes the Little Blessings Preschool daycare at both campuses. Music is emphasized at both campuses with 19 different choirs, instrumental and service bands that accompany traditional to modern services. There are a variety of small groups that meet regularly to personalize individual needs. GSLC also has an active outreach program with a food pantry and clothes closet for area residents, a partnership with Orchard Ridge elementary school, providing tutors, snacks and pen pals and a free Thanksgiving dinner for area residents as well as providing a monthly dinner for Luke House.