Location: 6261 Nesbitt Road, Fitchburg, WI
National Register of Historic Places, 82000655
July 8, 1982
John Mann, a native of New York State, arrived in Wisconsin in 1850 and operated a livery service in Madison for several years before he bought this farm. Exchanging timber on his property for sandstone from a neighbor’s quarry, Mann built the house and barn c. 1856. The architecture is a combination Greek revival of the late 18th and early 19th centuries and Italianate, a backward looking style that was popular in the 19th century.
John Mann’s son, Edward, eventually sold the property in 1876, after which it passed through several hands until it was sold to J. P. Comstock in 1886. The Comstock family retained ownership until 1935, and shortly thereafter it became the home of Dr. and Mrs. William Waskow who lived in it until its conversion to Quivey’s Grove in 1980. The house is a vernacular Italianate fieldstone structure with 18-inch thick walls and 13-foot ceilings. Many of the floors in the house are original unstained hemlock and the stairway post and banister are the original walnut.