John W. Scott, a farmer of Fitchburg, was born in the city of Madison, Wis., November 1, 1861. His father, Archibald Scott, was born near Belfast, Ireland, on July 26, 1828. At the age of twenty years he came to America and for some time followed the occupation of gardener in the vicinity of Boston, Mass. and came to Madison, where he was for some time engaged in business of drayman. He married Esther Welsh, a native of England. He is a member of the Episcopal church and now lives retired in Ireland. He and his wife had seven children. Those now living are John W., the subject of this sketch; William F., a painter at Mount Horeb; and Walter, who lives in Chicago. At the age of eighteen years John W. Scott began learning the trade of shoemaker, but later learned the trade of iron molder and worked at that occupation for five years. On September 11, 1888 he married Miss Anna, daughter of Andrew L. and Isabella (Knapp) Mann, the former of whom was a native of Xew York. In 1848, Mr. Mann, who was at that time living in Athens, Mich., came to Madison; he returned to Michigan, but came again to Madison in 1849 and purchased a one-half interest in a livery business. After another brief sojourn in Athens, he, in 1852, located permanently in the capital city and bought out his brother’s interest in the livery business and also bought a home in the city. For a time he was in partnership with Charles Stafford, but in the spring of 1857 he rented his livery stable to Andrew Kentzler and located on a farm at Fitchburg. He sold the livery business in 1863 and remained on the farm until 1882, when he removed to Madison for the purpose of educating his children. In 1888 he returned to the farm. He died in Madison in July, 1893, aged seventy-four years. His wife died in 1880 at the age of forty-nine. During his life he was an ardent Democrat and held successively the offices of justice of the peace, town treasurer and town clerk. He was a member of the Episcopal church, was for some time the postmaster at Rock Side, and was universally respected. He and his wife had two children, Julius K., who died in 1895, and Anna, now Mrs. Scott. After the death of Mrs. Scott’s brother, John W. Scott removed to the old Andrew L. Mann homestead, known as the “Rock Side Farm,” near Fitchburg. This farm, which contains two hundred and thirteen acres, was entered by Mr. Mann, who improved it and it has always been in the possession of the family. Politicallv Mr. Scott is a firm believer in the principles of the Republican party, and in church matters affiliates with the Episcopal church of Madison. Mr. and Mrs. Scott have the following children; Andrew A., Francis M., Isabella E., Ethel L., Erma J., and Edwin J.
History of Dane County, Madison, Western Historical Association, 1906, Page 796