Lake View School

District No. 5   Lake View School
Intersection of Hwys MM and B

Lake View map LR.jpgDistrict 5 Lake View School was organized in 1848 with students going to a log building owned by the Sanford family. In 1858, a wood school house was built to replace the log building. One of the first teachers was Andrew Kurtz who was born about 1820 in Pennsylvania and besides being a school teacher was a farmer and later merchant. The school was built just south of the Getts Inn and tavern which was also a stage coach stop between Madison and Janesville. Following the example of the Swan Creek School district, in 1930 the Lake View School district was incorporated into the Oregon school system and the students were transported to Oregon.

Lake View school LR

In 2001, the Fitchburg Historical Society in conjunction with the City of Fitchburg erected an historical marker at the site of the 1858 school.

  District 5 sign LD