Phil Haslanger, Pastor
5705 Lacy Road, Fitchburg, WI 53711
Memorial United Church of Christ had its beginnings when the Memorial Reformed Church was formed in 1917 in Madison with support from the Swiss Reformed Church in New Glarus. They bought a stone house at 14 W. Johnson Street to serve as their church and after remodeling they dedicated it in 1918. Until the church was ready they gathered in the Grand Army of the Republic Hall in downtown Madison. In 1931 they joined with the Evangelical Church to form the Evangelical and Reformed Church and then in 1957 when the Evangelical Reformed Church merged with the Congregational Christian Church to become the United Church of Christ they became the Memorial United Church of Christ. They moved to 1510 Madison Street due to a lack of parking in downtown Madison. Over the decades the congregation aged and the number of members declined. At this time the United Church of Christ was planning to start a church in Fitchburg and asked Memorial if they wanted to become the core of this church. In 1986 they began the process of moving to Fitchburg and in 1989 they began worshiping in their new church at 5705 Lacy Road. The church is noted for its interactions with other denominations, its outreach to the community and its music.