WILLIAM C. KISER, Sec. 12; P. O. Madison; born July 17, 1828, in Rockingham Co., Va.; has been a life-long farmer; in 1832, his then widowed mother located on a farm, now occupied as the National Soldiers’ Home, Dayton, Ohio; eighty ears later, he removed to Logan Co., Ohio, and engaged in farming there until 1862, when he came to Wisconsin and bought his present farm. William Packham made the first improvements here, though Mr. K. has erected a basement barn, 56×32, and other equally substantial buildings. He married, in Salem, Champaign Co., Ohio, Miss Lucy Block; her father, a Kentuckian, settled in Ohio in 1804. Mr. and Mrs. Kiser have seven children—Emma F., Mary C., Jennie, James A., William C, Dora and Perlie, and have lost a daughter, Lizzie. Mr. K. is a Democrat; was Sheriff of Dane Co. in 1874, and is now serving his third term as Chairman of Fitchburg; is a member of Madison Lodge and Chapter A., F. & A. M., and is an Odd Fellow. Mr. Kiser devotes his 250 acres to the breeding and feeding of fine stock; his first Poland-China hogs were brought from Ohio in 1862; and he has since dealt with the Lusson Bros., of Illinois, W. W. Ellsworth and the Newell Bros.; has also bought Berkshires of the Bow Park Breeding Association, of Canada West; his first short-horns were purchased of E. P. Brockway, and later he bought of T. J. McGibbon, Kentucky; Avery & Murphy, of Detroit; C. H. Williams, Baraboo; and A. Strawn, of Illinois; Mr. Kiser has held two sales—one in April, 1879, and one in February, 1880; about fifty head sold; has exhibited stock at Madison, Oshkosh and St. Paul, and never failed in winning a fair share of prizes.
History of Dane County, Wisconsin, Western Historical Company, Chicago, 1880, Page 1256